Friday, March 20, 2015

Decoy Cabernet Sauvignon

Name: Decoy Cabernet Sauvignon 
Variety: 82% Cabernet Sauvignon, 6% Cabernet Franc, 10% Merlot, 2% Petit Verdot
Region: Napa Valley
Country: United States
Year: 2012
Price: $27

Winemaker's Review: The 2012 vintage has yielded a lush and appealing expression of Decoy Cabernet with alluring black cherry and raspberry jam aromas, as well as more subtle notes of nutmeg, spice, and chocolate. On the palate, lovely layers of raspberry and plum are supported by excellent structure and seamlessly integrated oak. 

My Review: I had this wine over my spring break in Lynchburg at Shoemarkers Restaurant. It was really good; smooth and supple. It was a lighter Cabernet, not 'big', but gentle. It was crisp and had a lingering spiciness. There were soft tannins, red currants, no oak, and a lingering finish. I had just learned in my Geo of Wine course that you should get a bold red wine when eating a bold meat, so I decided to pair this with the Bleu Cheese Ribeye I had ordered. It was really good with the ribeye too! I also had it with fried calamari as an appetizer, which wasn't a good pairing, I think mainly because the fried food didn't go well with it. With the calamari I also had garlic escargot, which went SO well with the wine. I think the calamari was the best pairing of all that I tried, even better than the steak. 

No comments:

Post a Comment